Local News for Monday 2nd May 2016

Police news
A man who appeared in court at Stornoway on Thursday has been remanded to Porterfield Prison in Inverness, after failing to come up with a bail payment imposed by the court. The 36-year-old man had been arrested following incidents in the town centre at 2.30pm on Wednesday, and was charged with two counts of sexual exposure.



A man who assaulted three people during an incident in Shawbost on Thursday evening was released from court on bail on Friday. The 31-year-old man was charged with two counts of assault to injury and one of domestic assault to injury.

A 49-year-old man will appear in court tomorrow (Tuesday) after he was arrested in the Cearns in the early hours of Saturday morning. He was charged with a disturbance and is being kept in custody for court.

Police are appealing for information over two incidents which took place earlier in April. In one incident two planted pots were taken from a roadside position at a property in Knock, Point, between April 12th and 24th. In an unrelated incident a Claude Butler mountain bike was removed from a lane behind commercial premises in Bayhead, Stornoway, sometime between 4pm on April 12th and 10am on the 13th. Anyone with any information about either incident is asked to call police on the non-emergency number, 101.

Boat beached in harbour
Stornoway Lifeboat was called to help on Sunday at 2am, when the Stornoway-registered fishing vessel Lily 1 was found to have come adrift from her berth and to have beached at South Beach. The lifeboat towed her to the inner harbour.
 
Pyrotechnic amnesty
Saturday’s pyrotechnic amnesty at Stornoway Coastguard station went extremely well, with four fire-proof boxes in the coastguard’s secure store filled with time-expired flares and other emergency devices brought in by members of the public. Of over 250 items brought in, the oldest dated to 1974, and a coastguard spokesman described it as an excellent response from leisure users of boats.
 
Flag at half-mast for former councillor
The Comhairle’s flag flew at half mast at the weekend after the death was announced of former councillor for the Coll ward Murdo Macdonald. Mr Macdonald served two terms on the Comhairle from 1978 to 1986. Convener of Comhairle nan Eilean Siar, Cllr Norman A Macdonald, said: "Our thoughts are with the friends and family of Mr Macdonald at this sad time. As is our custom the Comhairle flag is flying at half mast as a mark of respect for a former Councillor"
 
Carloway win the cup
The first silverware of the island football season was lifted by Carloway on Friday evening, after an epic battle between Westside and Carloway in the final of the Acres Boys Club cup. With the score all-square at full time, Carloway came out on top 4-3 after extra time. Tonight’s matches are scheduled to see eight teams in action in the first round of the Jock Stein cup, with Lochs at home to Ness, United over to Garrabost against Point, Carloway in action again against Back and Aths at home to Westside. All kick-offs are at 7pm, weather permitting.
 
Leanne Fund 5k
The weather was kind to supporters of the Leanne Fund, who turned out in force for the annual 5k on Saturday. Over £1600 was raised for the charity, and winners listed as Marine Murray, fors adult female in 23 mins and 24 secs, first make Donald Mackay in 22:20, under 16 first female Isla Mackay, with Abbie Stewart second and Bethany Macleod third, and the first male under 16 Daniel Stewart, second Stuart Graham and third Connor Graham. A Leanne Fund spokesman said: “We were glad to see so many of you there and it was great that the rain stayed off to let us enjoy the event.”